今日の記事は the saturday evening post からです、
The Lost Art of the Phone Call 失われた技術「電話で会話」- typing is killing conversation
June 29 2018 (pre-corona!)
There is a song by a British artist called Cliff Richards, that goes “it’s so funny how we don’t talk anymore!”
and today’s article is about how we never talk on the phone anymore!
Most of our communication nowadays is by text and photos on SNS.
The article says “Hey maybe we should start talking on the phone again!”
For more than 100 years — a phone call was an event. The jarring ring would set a household in motion to discover what the mysterious caller had to say.
If you missed the call, you were missing out.
Today, we might be missing out more than ever.
The flat devices we now carry around like life support can hardly be called phones anymore
Smartphone users are communicating more overall, but we are typing not talking.
In fact we have become very anxious about calling, and instead text pretty much every conversation we have!
However, especially now with corona (this article was written before corona!) video calling (such as zoom) is maybe helping to get people talking in real time again. Tho we still do feel we need to set it up in advance….
Text, voice and video are all useful: The value of meaningful personal connection should be the focus of any communication technology
Hey Saimon what do you think? 私に勝手な一コメントいわせていただければ・・・
I’ve gotten really tired of text-talking:
– it takes a long time to edit to make sure my meaning is clear
– if the content is serious then it is very stressful typing then waiting for an answer
– and it really isn’t rewarding emotionally in the way that actually talking to a real person is
I realized I miss having long chats on the phone…I had several good friends I used to have long conversations with. I used to call my friend Sarah when I was having dating problems – but I would have to let her talk about herself for half an hour before I would (finally!) get to talk about my problem!
So recently I’ve been calling people, unexpectedly, just like we used to do back in the 20th century!
I started with my English-speaking friends in Okinawa (I haven’t tried this with my Japanese/Okinawan friends yet – do you think I should?), but this weekend I unexpectedly out-of-the-blue called friends in England
– they were very surprised to hear from me (because NO ONE phones unannounced nowadays!) – one friend thought she’d better answer in case someone had died…
– and one friend was on her way out so we had to keep it short, but it was good to hear each other’s voices
– and I talked to another friend for over an hour.
Listeners, what do you think? 皆さん、いかがでしょうか？
– Do you ever call people unannounced?
– Do you remember having more phone talking back in the 20th century?
– Or do you just text? Or even, text to ask if it’s ok to call?
– Do you think we can do this in Japan?
– Do you think we need to start doing this again?
Thanks for reading everybody – see ya!
Cliff Richards song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzjX18psf9A
取り残されることへの恐れ Fear Of Missing Out: https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/FOMO